Study in Japan: What you should take into account

Over the years, the number of people who want to study in Japan has steadily increased. However, there are always the same questions and various myths about the application process.

Do I have to know Japanese to apply?

No prior knowledge of the language is required. If you have studied Japanese before, you will need to take a placement test to locate your closest level.

From experience of having lived and studied the language in other countries, learning in Japan is much faster than in your home country. What would take you three years to learn, you can learn in a matter of months in Japan. This is due not only to the fact that the courses are intensive, but that you are exposed to the language at all times, and in a natural way. In addition, you have to speak Japanese from the moment you set foot in the country.

That said, it is advisable to know the rudiments of Japanese, that is, hiragana and katakana.

Do I have to be a student when I apply?

Sometimes people believe that study options in Japan are exclusive to people who are students in their country. Do you need to be a high school / college student? No. You can be a student, and go for a short study, you can leave your studies in your home country and go to Japan for a long-term study. You can be an employee, or have finished university a long time ago, but now study in Japan. It’s possible.

Although they generally ask for a high school diploma, other than that there are no educational requirements. Anyone can apply, you don’t necessarily have to be a student.

What is the age limit?

It is a very common question, as many people believe that you have to be young to apply. There are cases of people who have gone to Japan at 18, as well as people who have gone at 28. There are also minors who go on a study trip, which is a short program for that range.

There are sites like and Youth Japan that are dedicated to youth youth packages specifically. Go! Go! Nihon It is a good option if you are of legal age.

There are even cases of people over 50 who go to Japan to study. If you want to go to Japan and you think you are at the right time, it is completely possible to go. However, for older adults a school with a slower pace is recommended. But it is possible.

What visa do I need to study in Japan?

japanese visa

You can study in Japan with a tourist visa if it is for less than three months, although with this type of visa it is not allowed to work or do business. You can only study. For longer stays you have to apply for a study visa. On the other hand, the study visa allows you to work a maximum of 28 hours a week to support your expenses.

If you are Mexican, here is an article about what you need to travel to Japan. Additionally, many countries have a visa waiver agreement if you go for less than three months.

How much does it cost to live and study in Japan?

1.2 million yen for the first six months. This basically covers all your expenses: tuition, accommodation and expenses, considering that you do not take part-time work during those six months. 1.2 million yen.

There is no guarantee that you will be able to find a job, especially if you do not have knowledge of the language, so regardless of whether you have a part-time job or not, it is advisable to have this amount.

What is the average cost of the schools and accommodation?

It is a difficult question to answer because it depends a lot on what type of home you want, in which city and in which district you want to live (Tokyo is much more than the metropolitan area, so there are areas with reasonable prices). Do you want to live in a private apartment or in a bedroom? Do you want to live in Tokyo or Fukuoka? For consideration, the average cost of an apartment in Nagoya is 40,000 yen a month, while in Tokyo it can be 70,000.

It is definitely cheaper to live outside of Tokyo, although language schools tend to be cheaper due to competition. Another reason to live in Tokyo is that you will be in the capital of Japan, and the opportunities to find a part-time job are greater. But if you just want to study and want to have a better quality of life, other cities are good options.

What financial supports are there?

study in japan

Depending on the country, there are funds and grants available, as well as agencies that can help you apply for this type of support. Many times they request a letter of acceptance from the school, and they come conditional on a percentage of attendance or minimum grades. The page of the Japanese embassy in your country should have more information on this type of support.

What to expect from Japan when I go for the first time?

Japan’s urban planning is unique. The sense of space can be limited. It is normal to live in tight spaces. The sense of personal space varies from place to place. Personal space on the Yamanote line at rush hour is not the same as at a social event.

In terms of rent, your first space will most likely be small. It is important to take into account all the details. You have to pay the rent, make a deposit and a host of unexpected expenses. In addition, the landlord is usually given extra money. Kitchens are usually small, and closets may need extra rails to hang all of your clothes.

If you opt for a shared house, the common spaces such as the kitchen, bathroom and laundry will be a little larger. If you rent your own space, you may not have a washing machine and you will have to find a coin laundry in your neighborhood.

Can I work to offset the costs of my studies? Can I balance work and study?

It’s possible. It largely depends on how confident you are in your study ability and how much free time you are willing to sacrifice. An intensive school consists of classes in the morning and three to four hours of homework, so you basically spend the whole day on that. You can work as a language teacher for up to 28 hours a week, and up to 40 on vacation. So 4 hours of school + 4 hours of homework + 4 hours of part time is 12 hours a day. Taking apart the hours you have for food and sleep, you spend the whole day.

Take into account that if you go from six to eight months things can change. If you learn quickly, you can get better paying jobs and reduce the number of working hours. Depending on your priorities, you can also choose a school with a quieter pace and have more time to relax or go out.

Can I find a job after finishing my studies?

The requirements to work in Japan are at least 12 years of education, A levels or its equivalent and be eligible for higher studies in your country. Basically: Can you go to university in your country? If so, you can also go to a university in Japan. If you dropped out of school or for some reason did not complete high school, you will have to finish it before you can go to Japan.

To find work, there are two options: Be highly qualified in a key industry like Information Technology with 5-10 years of experience, or have a college degree. If you have a college degree or equivalent, work experience is not necessary and you can seek employment. If you are studying high school and planning to apply to university in Japan, of course you can look for work in Japan. You can also go to a senmon gakko, the technical school. Trades such as animation, graphic design, photography, and even canine aesthetics are taught there. You get a diploma at the end of the course and you can work. The advantage of a senmon gakko is that it lasts only two years, instead of four that university lasts. The downside is that they are entirely in Japanese, so to apply you will have to check your level of language skills. Some senmon gakko integrate Japanese courses in recent years.

I want to go to a university in Japan. How is the proccess?

study in japan

For those who want to go to university in Japan there are two routes. The first is that you apply to a program entirely in English. For those whose native language is not English, they should check their language level with a recent test like IELTS and TOEFL.

The second option is to sign up for a program entirely in Japanese. For this you will need to check your level of Japanese. Many language schools offer services to help you through the university application process.

The senmon gakko that integrate Japanese courses and vocational school offer the option of vocational school immediately upon reaching a certain level in the language. Many of them even offer a discount when transferring to vocational school.

In the event that you apply to a university, you will need to apply for an entrance exam. The exam is made up of different parts, including a written exam and an interview. Some schools ask for JLPT or EJU as part of the application process. We recommend that you review the dates and the application process in advance. Most programs begin in April, with some programs beginning in October.

We recommend applying for the month of April, which is when the school calendar begins, since it coincides with the end of the year, the recruitment period and job fairs begin.

Can I apply to a program in Japanese if I don’t speak the language?

It’s possible. At first you will have to take a Japanese course. According to your previous knowledge, and your ability in the language, it lasts from a year and a half to two. So the university study extends to six years.

Worth it?

study in japan

Definitely! Even if it is going to study for six months, if you really learn the language, it will change your life. He thinks that it is not only about going to Japan to travel and learn the language, but that it is an investment.

If you return to your country at the end of your studies, you will be the local that speaks Japanese. It makes a good impression in job interviews and is useful for networking with Japanese people in your city. Many people who study in Japan end up finding a related job. What you learn while studying in Japan will accompany you for a lifetime.