Chion-in -The temple of Chion-in

Chion-in is a Buddhist temple and is home to the Buddhist “Jo-do” (“pure land” in English) founded by Ho-nen in the 12th century.

The place of the temple is where Honen began to preach his teachings and the place where he passed away.

The original temple was built in 1234 by Genchi, a disciple of Honen, in memory of his teacher and was called Chion-in.

A fire destroyed numerous buildings in 1633, but they were rebuilt by the third shogun Tokugawa Iemitsu, from whom it survives today.

The main gate, we call it “Sanmon” in Japanese, was built in 1619 and is the largest structure of its kind in Japan. It is declared as a National Treasure of Japan.